Everyone who owns a beach house or cottage should keep certain aspects in mind when decorating, in order to make sure that its design and atmosphere is in tone with its costal setting. Whether you actually live on the beach during the whole year, or you just use the beach house as a holiday retreat, if you invest enough time and effort, you can turn it into a real piece of heaven.
Merely owning a beach house is not enough to fully grasp the wonders of living near the sea. Here are a few decorating tips to make sure that you turn your beach house into a cozy, charming and magical spot:
- Make sure that your dining room faces the sea directly and that it features big windows. This room will become the main attraction of your beach house. Nothing beats the serene feeling of dining at the seaside, while feeling the gentle touch of the breeze and gazing at the beauty of the sea.
- Use colours such as white and light blue when painting and decorating your house. This will instil a strong nautical feeling in your house. These nuances are both cozy and fashionable and using them will almost make you feel as if your beach house was one with the sea.
- Nothing is more romantic and peaceful than waking up in a bedroom with a sea view. The bedroom of your beach house should be comfy and simple. Make sure that it has large windows and, if possible, a balcony.
- Be sure the decorative items you purchase match the nautical design of your coastal home. Use décor objects such as sailboat models and model ships, ship wheels, anchors, surfboards or wooden paddles. Also, if you are an art lover, be sure to hang some sea-themed paintings on your walls.
- Kids love pirates. It’s a fact. So if you have kids, particularly boys, why not surprise them with a pirate-themed bedroom? You can buy a boat bed for them and you can decorate their bedroom with all kinds of nautical items, such as pirate flags, lifeboats or treasure chests. The entire room will turn into one big toy for your children.